Marks & Spencer
High street and online retailer Marks & Spencer achieved their award-winning “Plan A” environmental initiative by modernising their HR, Payroll & Workforce Management. We helped their transition to online payslips and reduction in paperwork in-store which secured them the coveted Personnel Today Award for Managing Change. There's only one place for paper payslips - the past.
Leading retailer Marks & Spencer were previously working with an old, inflexible payroll software solution, as well as a manual time and attendance process…
This led to:
- A high number of administrators needed to manage paper based processes
- Payroll inaccuracies creating leakage and absorbing HR management time
- Workforce scheduling that was not linked to information from till transactions
- Inability to offer benefits such as childcare vouchers and pension salary sacrifice
- Substantial and costly paper-based communication
SD Worx used its tax optimisation expertise to integrate salary sacrifice (such as pension contributions and childcare vouchers) into its outsourced payroll solution. We improved processes and efficiency through self service – holiday requests, declaring availability for additional hours, and online payslips.SD Worx supported M&S employees through this transition by providing system training sessions for retail employees. We worked closely with M&S to balance the benefits of standard process with requirements for unique solutions in certain situations.
Benefits & Impact
- Significant reductions in HR administration, enabling staff redeployment.
- Significant savings each year due to improved tax efficiency in benefits provision.
- Payroll accuracy of 99.8%, reducing overpayments and wasted management time.
- Cost savings from improved efficiency via self-service and workflow technology.
- Increased employee engagement due to the ability for employees to self-serve holiday requests, declare working availability and view payslips from home.
- An increase in revenue via an effective scheduling solution.